Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ise Shrine (!!!!!!!!!!)














Today we visited the Shrine of Ise, one of the major reasons I wanted to come to Japan. Even though we couldn't see inside the main Shrine dedicated to Amaterasu ( a Sun Goddess) I felt like my life was more complete after I visited this place. Silly maybe? But it was on my list of things to do before I die, and this place was so delicate and beautiful. The Shinto religion is fascinating, many people came there to pray. Everywhere we walked I was sure to be careful because every rock and every leaf is sacred in this place (according to Shinto). It was truly breathtaking. The monk doing calligraphy in the last picture does this inside a small hut outside the shrine, we weren't supposed to take pictures but it was really amazing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment